The Chronicles of Local Space
A fictional exploration of nearby star systems
To every thing there is a season,
The Bible (King James version), Ecclesiastes 3:1
and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
- Some multinational mining companies on Earth form
Lunar Mining Limited as a joint mining venture.
Initially, the corporation is an Earth-based research and development corporation that evaluates
the feasibility of various technologies for future mining and colonisation of the moon.
- 2055 July 25
- Lunar Mining Limited establish Shackleton, the
first permanent lunar colony as a company mining town near the south pole of the moon. This colony
mines the ores of lighter metals that are relatively abundant and easy to mine. The colonies also
mine water, which is valuable as a source of rocket fuel and essential to life on the dry lunar
surface. Initially, the mining colonies only extract mineral ores for refining on Earth.
- Some countries on Earth establish the Confederation of Earth as
a successor to the United Nations, modelled on the European Union. The Confederation chooses Geneva,
Switzerland to be the capital city of the Confederation. At this time fewer than half the countries of
Earth were members of the Confederation.
- The lunar mining colonies refine the first metals smelted outside Earth. The technology employs compact
solar-powered smelters that were shipped from Earth.
- The Lunar space elevator commences construction on
the near side of the moon using lunar resources. It is completed in 2106.
- An alliance of Earth governments commence construction of the Pacific
space elevator in Earth orbit using resources transported
from the moon. This space elevator touches down in the Pacific Ocean in 2117.
- The United States launches the last rocket in the Rocket Age of space travel.
- The first habitat ship is built. This class of ship is a
large ship that allows people to live in space for extended periods, allowing them to make long journeys.
These cylindrical ships generate artificial gravity by rotating. The first habitat ships were built with
lunar resources and used chemical propulsion.
- 2149 August 4
- The governments of all nations of Earth agree to be united under the jurisdiction of a single
international government. The new Confederation of Earth establishes its capital in the city of
Geneva, Switzerland. The Confederation existed before this date, but it was on this date that all
nations of Earth were united for the first time.
- Earth-based mining corporations undertake asteroid mining for the first time using the Moon
as a base. Habitat ships facilitate the mining because they can house the miners and transport
- Asteroid Resources Limited is founded on the Moon.
- Asteroid Resources Limited commence construction
of the Lagrange Space Settlement at the L5 (trailing)
Lagrangian point of the Moon’s orbit.
- 2178 April 25
- The Lagrange Space Settlement is officially opened.
- 2184 May 25
- The first colony on Mars is founded using
- 2188 August 15
- The fusion rocket engine is tested successfully.
- 2195 November 25-29
- The Prometheus makes the first successful manned test flight of a fusion-powered spacecraft.
It makes the 76,940,000 km trip from Earth to Mars in about two days.
Stable artificial wormholes are created for the
first time. The first ones are microscopic.
Asteroid Resources Limited and
Lunar Mining Limited merge to form
Asteroid and Lunar Resources Limited.
- 2215 October 11
- Asteroid Resources Limited establishes the
Hygiea mining colony. It serves as a base for
asteroid mining operations.
- Hygiea Mining Corporation founded on
- A consortium of wealthy space miners and some Earth-based business people commence construction
of the Kepler Space Settlement. Kepler is located at the
L4 (leading) Lagrangian point of the Moon’s orbit.
- 2239 February 24
- The Kepler Space Settlement is officially opened,
and takes its first settlers on the same day.
- A consortium of space-mining corporations, major Earth governments and the Government of
Mars commence construction of a
space elevator in orbit around Mars. The elevator must
be built so that the moon Phobos does not interfere with it. The elevator is thus built in a
Y-shape with Phobos passing beneath it. The elevator touches down away from the Martian equator.
- The Gregorian Calendar is reformed by international agreement with the largest changes to the calendar
since the time of Julius Caesar. The new Standard Calendar of Earth makes
the month lengths more regular by giving February, July and December 30 days each, places the leap day at
the end of the year, changes the way leap years are determined, and integrates a new simpler method of
calculating Easter with the calendar. The calendar is planned for introduction on 2301 January 1.
- 2301 January 1 SCE
- The world switches to the Standard Calendar of Earth. The changeover is introduced at
this time because the introduction of a new calendar at the start of a century is more logical than an introduction
at any other time, and the start of the 24th century happens to be the beginning of a thirty-year period where
the leap year rules for the Gregorian Calendar and the Standard Calendar coincide.
- Scientists on Earth build the first stable traversable wormhole.
Wormhole technology promises to revolutionise transportation.
- 2309 March 9 SCE — Berkeley Wormhole Accident
- In an accident on Earth, a wormhole breaches
containment and explodes on the West Coast of the United States. This explosion devastates a large
area centred on Berkeley, California, and kills about 185,200 people. Wormhole researchers impose
an immediate moratorium on wormhole research.
- 2309 April 30 SCE
- The Berkeley Wormhole Accident causes all wormhole research on the surface
of the Earth to be banned.
- Wormhole research resumes in old habitat ships in Earth orbit.
- In an experiment in Earth orbit, wormhole researchers place the ends of a single
wormhole in two different
habitat ships. One of the habitat ships is ferried
into orbit around the moon and the other remains in Earth orbit. The two white mice that were
sent through the wormhole became the first living creatures to travel from one world
to another via wormhole.
- Wormhole researchers place wormholes on Hygiea,
in the asteroid belt. This heralded a revolution in asteroid mining, because ore mined in the
asteroids could now be shipped elsewhere in the solar system without needing to be transported
- 2339 December 4 SCE — Space Crisis
- The Space Crisis begins when a terrorist attack destroys the Pacific Space Elevator. The attack severs the link
between Earth and the space settlements.
- 2339 December 5 SCE
- The administrations on all space colonies declare a state of emergency. They introduce strict food
rationing. Medical supplies of various kinds are also rationed. Colonies that can grow their own food
are asked to grow additional food so that all colonies can have a fighting chance to survive. All
non-essential travel between colonies is banned.
- 2339 December 7 SCE
- The Confederation passes special exemptions to the bans on wormholes on the surface of the Earth.
- 2339 December 13 SCE
- The Confederation of Earth commissions a new wormhole as a temporary replacement for the Pacific
Space Elevator until a new space elevator can be constructed.
- 2340 June 18 SCE
- The wormhole link is completed. One end of the wormhole is placed in geosynchronous orbit inside
a habitat ship. The other end of the wormhole is placed in the Pacific Ocean where the Pacific Space
Elevator used to be, due to the existing infrastructure at that site and its remote location. The
wormhole has an exclusion area around it with a radius of 8 kilometres.
- 2340 June 20 SCE
- Shipments of food and medical supplies to the colonies resume through the wormhole.
- 2340 June 24 SCE
- The administrators of the space colonies end the state of emergency, thus ending the Space Crisis.
- 2340 October 23 SCE
- A new space elevator begins construction in Earth orbit.
- The new space elevator is completed, touching down in the Congo. The construction of two more
space elevators begins.
- The second and third space elevators are completed in Earth orbit. These two space elevators
touch down in the Indonesian archipelago and the Pacific Ocean. When the Pacific elevator is
completed, the wormhole is decommissioned.
- A wormhole links Deimos to Callisto’s orbit, providing access to the Jovian system.
- Hygiea Mining Corporation places wormholes at a Lagrangian point of Titan’s orbit.
The harvesting of ice from Rhea soon commences.
- Wormhole probes are invented.
- The first wormhole probe reaches Pluto.
- The Dandelion Project commences with the construction of wormhole probes and their associated
- 2387 May 31 SCE
- The space mining corporations launch the first wormhole probes towards Proxima Centauri.
The probes are connected through the wormhole to their fuel tanks. The probes accelerate at slightly
less than 1 G with a spaceship burn that lasts for 18 days, and then start coasting. When the burn ends,
the wormhole probes are travelling at about 6% of the speed of light and are located 150 AU from the Sun.
The first wave of these probes is launched over the next 110 years, sending probes to most of the 250
stars within 10 parsecs (32.616 light years) of the Earth and a selection of stars beyond 10 parsecs.
- A theologian in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil claims to have received a divine revelation regarding the inherent
unity of the four Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the Bahá’í faith).
Soon he attracts followers and by so doing establishes a new religion that became known as the
Unified Temple of Abraham.
- 2459 January 6 SCE
- The first wormhole probes to explore another star system explore the
Proxima system after a journey of 72 years.
- Wormhole probes reach the
Alpha Centauri A system.
- A stargate is completed between Earth and Proxima.
- 2470 June 11 SCE
- The research settlement Proxima Base is established in the
- A stargate is completed between Earth and Alpha Centauri A.
- Wormhole probes reach Barnard’s Star.
- A stargate is completed between Earth and Barnard’s Star.
- 2502 May 14 SCE
- An earth tremor with an epicentre below the Canary Islands is the first sign that the Cumbre Vieja
volcano on the island of La Palma has become active again after being quiescent for 163 years.
- 2502 May 17 SCE
- The Cumbre Vieja volcano starts smoking, with a light rain of volcanic ash on the Canary Islands
and the surrounding area. Over the next few weeks, increasing activity from the volcano is a sign
that a large eruption is imminent. The Canary Islands are evacuated with the people taking refuge on
the Iberian mainland.
- 2502 June 29 SCE 14:17 local time
- After building in intensity over a period of six weeks, the
Cumbre Vieja volcano erupts with a
violent and devastating eruption. A portion of the western flank of the volcano collapses into the
Atlantic Ocean and triggers a tsunami. The tsunami breaches the seawalls of Miami and devastates the
city. After the tsunami passes, the ocean inundates the city because the seawalls cannot keep the
water out. Other cities on the eastern seaboard of the United States are also affected. Miami is
abandoned because the damage is too great. Worldwide, 290,000 people lose their lives, but timely
tsunami warnings save millions more. A worldwide relief effort aids the survivors.
- 2504 July 15 SCE
- The Dandelion project ends with the sending of the last wormhole probe after the companies
funding the probe divert their funds to the tsunami effort.
- A wormhole probe explores the first terraformable planet found outside the solar system in the
Lalande 21185 system. The world is named New Earth.
- Terraforming of New Earth commences.
- A wormhole probe explores the Epsilon Indi system,
where they find another terraformable world. In a surprise for planetologists, the world lacks
large oceans of water. The lack of water means the world does not bear life. The world is named
Aridia (Latin for dryness or drought).
- Terraforming of New Earth is completed.
- A stargate is constructed to connect the Solar system to Epsilon Indi.
- Terraforming of the world Aridia in the
Epsilon Indi system begins. An icy world in the outer reaches of
the system provides the raw materials needed to make the world habitable. The terraformers divert
the orbit of the icy world so that it crashes into Aridia, then the terraformers seed that world
with algae to produce an oxygen atmosphere.
- 2678 November 4 SCE
- A wormhole probe explores the Gliese 832 system. A habitable world
with a carbon dioxide/methane atmosphere is discovered. The world bears primitive life. The world
is given the name Serena.
- 2684 May 5 SCE
- A wormhole probe owned by the Prometheus Mining Corporation explores the
Gliese 682 system. This system has a potentially habitable planet in a
close orbit around the star. The planet is given the name Prometheus
after the corporation. This planet is tidally locked to the star, so the planet has permanent day and
night hemispheres. The world is not life bearing because the atmosphere has condensed on the cold side.
- 2685 October 5 SCE
- A wormhole probe explores the Omicron2 Eridani A system, where it finds the marginally
habitable world of Oasis.
- 2685 October 10 SCE
- The discovery of the third terraformable world in the space of seven years initiates the Terraforming Boom.
Market speculation begins, as the price of companies with interests in the terraforming or the terraformable
worlds rises sharply, then continue to climb. Several corporations attempt to cash in on this anticipated boom
by commencing the manufacturing of new terraforming equipment.
- 2691 June 1 SCE
- A wormhole probe explores the system. Another terraformable
planet is found there, which later gets the name Calena. This further fuels
the Terraforming Boom.
- 2695 September 12 SCE
- A report detailing the terraforming recommendations prepared by the Terrestrial Confederation is leaked.
It recommends the terraforming of Prometheus and
Calena, places Serena off-limits to
terraforming to protect the native lifeforms and advises against the terraforming of
Oasis. Because this report was more pessimistic on the terraforming
prospects than the market anticipated, and a lot of market activity revolved around the terraforming
recommendations, this report was not intended to be released all at once, but was instead intended to be
released in four parts so as to minimize the effects on the global stockmarket. Instead, the world
stockmarkets dived sharply and this triggered the bursting of the Terraforming Boom and the collapse of
several companies associated with it.
- Despite an extensive investigation, the perpetrators of the leak are never identified.
- Stargates connect Earth to Gliese 682.
- The terraforming of the world Prometheus in the Gliese 682 system begins.
This document was last modified 2010-06-24 09:33:34 UTC.
Copyright © 2004-2010 Bruce Mills. All rights reserved.
This page is a static HTML page that was created with PHP